Mushroom curry recipe, mushroom masala
step by step easy curry recipe of mushroom masala.
again an easy recipe of white button mushrooms in an onion-tomato based medium spiced gravy. i use this recipe as base for making mushroom or paneer masala. i also make veg or paneer bhuna masala gravy with some tweaking of this recipe.
again like most of my recipes, this one too is easy to prepare. there is some prep work like making onion paste and tomato puree, which can be easily done in a good blender or mixer-grinder. fresh yogurt/curd is also added in this recipe. if you do not have curd, then just skip it.
there is no thick creamy gravy in this recipe, but a medium consistency gravy. one that can be easily poured on steamed rice or can also be had with chapatis or parathas.
1. rinse or wipe dry 200 to 250 grams mushrooms. slice off a bit of the base stalk. then slice or chop them. keep aside.
2. in a grinder or blender, take ¾ th to 1 cup roughly chopped onions, 1 tsp chopped ginger and 1 tsp chopped garlic.
3. grind to a smooth paste without adding any water.
4. remove this paste with a spoon or spatula in a bowl. keep this ground onion-ginger-garlic paste aside.
5. in the same jar, add ½ cup tightly packed chopped tomatoes.
6. make a smooth puree. no need to blanch tomatoes before pureeing. keep the tomato puree aside. if using ready made puree, then add ½ cup tomato puree.
how to make mushroom curry, mushroom masala
8. heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan and add the following whole spices – ½ tsp cumin seeds, 2 small tejpatta or 1 medium to large tej patta, ½ inch cinnamon, 1 black cardamom, 2 green cardamoms, 3 cloves and 1 single strand of mace. i forgot to add tej patta at this step, so added later at step 11.
9. saute the spices till they become aromatic
mushroom curry recipe
.how to make mushroom curry, mushroom masala
10. lower the flame and add the ground onion-ginger-garlic paste.
12. on a low to medium flame stir often and continue to saute till the onion paste starts reducing.
13. stir and saute till the paste becomes golden. this sauteing of onion paste takes some time. so to quicken the process add a pinch of salt.
14. now add the tomato puree. stir.
16. stir and saute till you see oil releasing from the sides of the onion-tomato masala.
17. add the sliced or chopped white button mushrooms.
18. lower the flame and add the beaten curd/yogurt.
19. as soon as you add yogurt, stir very well.
20. simmer the curry on a low to medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
21. then add ¾ cup water or as required.
23. stir very well.
24. cover the pan with a lid.
25. on a low to medium flame simmer the gravy for 18 to 20 minutes or till the mushrooms are cooked and the gravy has thickened a bit. you should also see some oil specks on top.
26. lastly add ¼ tsp garam masala powder and ½ tsp of kasuri methi, crushed. stir well.
27. then add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. stir.
28. serve this punjabi mushroom curry with rotis, parathas, naan or even rice or veg pulao.